Pre-Conception Counseling And Genetic Screening Specialist
Women's Obstetrics and Gynecology
All high-quality OB/GYN practitioners recommend preconception care for women considering getting pregnant. Women’s Obstetrics and Gynecology offers preconception counseling and genetic screenings, so you can learn about the potential risks of carrying a baby and confidently decide on your pregnancy endeavor. Contact our doctors at their Fairfield County, Connecticut practice to solicit more valuable information on conceiving.
Pre-Conception Counseling and Genetic Screening Q & A
Why should I receive preconception counseling?
What kind of issues do Women's Obstetrics and Gynecology address during preconception counseling?
- Family planning
- Achieving a healthy body weight
- Screening and treatment for infectious diseases
- Updating appropriate immunizations
- Reviewing medications for teratogenic effects
- Genetic Carrier Screening for Inheritable Diseases
Women looking to get pregnant are recommended to take folic acid supplements to reduce the risk of neural tube defects. Your physician can also work with you to control your health conditions, and offer family planning services to avoid unintended pregnancies.
What is genetic screening?
What are methods of genetic screening?
- Molecular genetic tests (or gene tests) study single genes or short lengths of DNA to identify variations or mutations that lead to a genetic disorder
- Chromosomal genetic tests analyze whole chromosomes or long lengths of DNA to identify any substantial genetic changes
- Biochemical genetic tests study the amount or activity level of proteins to identify any abnormalities that might indicate a genetic disorder